We San Diegans are lucky. We have two, count ’em, two WBC locations to choose from.
This web site deals with the WBC managed by the North County Group (which is a section of the San Diego Chapter of the Sierra Club). There is also the San Diego Chapter’s WBC. The two courses are very similar with a few differences.
The major differences are:
- Location: North County WBC classes are held at San Pasqual High School in Escondido (near North County Fair). San Diego WBC classes are held at the Scottish Rite Event Center in Mission Valley.
- Class size: North County WBC typically allows 100 students. San Diego WBC typically allows 230.
- Outing weekends: outings occur on alternate weekends for San Diego and North County, to help ease the demand on local suppliers’ rental equipment.
- Start date: varies from year to year, but generally are offset by one or two weeks.
- Age Limit: North County WBC students must be 14 years old and in the 9th grade, however, a parent or legal guardian must accompany any minor to every WBC event (class, day hikes, weekend outings, reunion, etc). San Diego WBC students must be 18.
- Price: the San Diego WBC is a little more expensive because it involves some expenses that North Country WBC does not.
Unfortunately, you have to choose only one. You can’t be enrolled in both courses in the same year, and you can’t substitute between them for classes or outings you’ve missed.
To learn more about the San Diego WBC, go to www.wildernessbasics.com.